[Dailydrool] Maintaining Balance

gadirtroadblues at aol.com gadirtroadblues at aol.com
Tue Sep 15 15:31:44 PDT 2009

Angelica,

It sounds like Elvis has the same symptoms as our Mulligan.? I pulled Mulligan from a local shelter in December of 2006 after he had been found dragging himself down a dirt road.? Thanks to a "VERY KIND" drooler Mulligan underwent surgery to repair a disk problem and was walking a few months later - actually he was playfully running a few months later.? Two weeks again Mulligan went down again.? This time the symptoms are a little different - before he had no use of feeling in either of his rear legs but would wag his tail.? Thsi time he does move his rear legs but seems to be lacking any command on what those legs are supposed to be doing.

I had the vet give Mulligan steriod injections to reduce any swelling and I have noticed some improvement.? If I stand him on all fours he will take several steps before crashing over.? He doesn't seem to be able to lift himself on his own however.

After his surgery I put Mulligan in a mobile cart and he loved it.? It allowed him to function as a "front wheel drive" basset and took the pressure of his back legs.? Mulligan has been on crate rest for the past few weeks but will be back using a cart in the next day or two.? I'm hoopeful that with physical therapy he was walk again but even if he doesn't his life can be rewarding with the incxreased mobilty.? I've also heard great things on? a disabled dogs group about the water therapy.

Randy?