[Dailydrool] maintaining balance

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:33:30 PDT 2009

As most of you know, Elvis lost the use of his back legs over a year ago due to suspected spondylosis. He has come a long way and we know that everything 'works' now. Meaning- he can move his back legs and his tail. He can also walk ( a bit of a drunken sailor look to it- but walking all the same) if I hold on to his tail. I do not have to hold his weight at all- I can actually hold the tip of his tail and he can walk. It's like he can do the motions- but can't keep/hold his balance. If I let go he falls to one side or the other. Once in a great while he gets himself up and does a few wobbly steps. Or when he gets off the couch and lands on all four- momentum might keep him going for a few feet. My question is~ has anyone gone through this? Any thoughts on what I could do to try to help him with his balance? He takes B12, L-glutamine, Arnica Montana, probiotics and CQ10 on a daily basis. There is no acupuncture or water therapy available here where we live. I am trying to see if there are things I could do for him. He is happy and content the way he is- but if there is something I could do to help him re-gain his balance I am sure he'd be even happier. He recently turned 11 years old but still has lots of puppy left in him.

I do have prednisone for him- the vet wanted him on it for the rest of his life. I weaned him off of them after 2 months. He seemed to do much better without them. Would a short term course of them possibly help? I really hate to go that route though.

droolies, Angelika