[Dailydrool] wishes for emma

Helena Poist helena at proplanner.com
Tue Sep 15 19:23:20 PDT 2009

thank you for the wishes for Emma. She was in a shelter where the dogs are put down 5 days to the hour they are sent there. No adoptions are allowed to the public just reclaims. Few rescues are allowed to pull. She was transported to a friend who runs a no kill shelter and can obtain low cost vetting to save us money. she bathed Emma, cleaned her eyes and put soothing solution on them, trimmed her nails, and rehydrated her and checked fecals. We were praying that the vet would find that she was NOT heartworm positive and just neglect. I too was saddened that it was as bad as it was.. We thought we turned the corner.. Kim our friend, held her as she took her last breathe.

I have read many stories on the drool over the years but one sticks out in my mind. a drooler saw an older basset on the road in a ditch. took the frightened dog in  and attempted to nurse the dog back to health. I suspected the owner dumped the dog knowing he/she was sick. I dont remember the sex of the basset. But the good samaritian only had the basset one night and held the dog when they died... Sometimes that is the only kindness we can provide is to be with them at the end. I was impressed with their dedication and sorrow over a dog they only knew for one day.. but they have that kind of impact. they reach into our hearts and touch that part of us that tells us we are human and makes our hearts flutter..

As sad as I am for Emma, I refocus and dedicate myself to saving the other Emma's still out there..  whereever they are. THere are no borders in my  heart when it comes to saving a life.