[Dailydrool] Question about basset temper on specific issue

The Norton Family 2bapackard at prodigy.net
Tue Sep 22 13:10:34 PDT 2009

We have an issue with our Basset - Tank which is concerning me greatly. Let me explain - He is 5 years old and has been crate trained since he was a puppy.  The crate is for large dogs and is made from metal and canvas with mesh windows so he can see out and it zippers closed.  We put bedding on the bottom and change it periodically.  He used to be put in the crate when we went to bed and whenever we left the house.  As he has gotten older, we have let him stay out for the night and only put him in the crate when we go out for an extended amount of time like during the work/school week until someone returns home.  We have never used this as a punishment and he even gets 2 treats as soon as he gets in the crate.  This has never been a problem except for about 1-1/2 months ago.  Now, Tank will snarl and bark instead of getting into the crate.  Almost like he wants to bite us as if we are hurting him or something.  We have never smacked him or
 done any type of abuse.  We do discipline him but nowadays it is mostly saying NO in a firm voice if he tries to eat something that is not for his consumption.  At first, I thought it was because I needed to change the mat on the bottom of the crate since it had been a few months.  Well, I did this and I even doubled it just so it wouldn't be so hard on his joints when laying down.  He liked this but he still snarls at us and it can take up to 25 minutes to coax him into the crate.  I don't know why or what has changed?  I want to know if maybe at his age, we shouldn't use this anymore and just let him roam freely?  Maybe he cannot take the enclosed area anymore, maybe it is bad for his joints now, maybe his eyesight doesn't like the enclosure, maybe we need to buy a new crate because this one is our original one?  Other than this issue, there is nothing really wrong with Tank.  He has had a check up and all he needs right now is his teeth
 cleaned.  He has a cyst which doesn't hurt him but we will be removing soon but I was told that that is common for this breed.  His weight is good and normally he is a loving, wonderful dog with a loving spirit.  The only new thing we did was change his food which has shown us some positive results plus he was having this issue before the food change.  Can someone shed some light on this issue and help me to help him?

Kathleen