[Dailydrool] A walk in the park

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 22 14:16:59 PDT 2009

This morning I took the dogs to a really beautiful park that we have here in town. It is the grounds of an ancient priory which is now used as a museum.

For the past month I have been letting Clara off lead in places like this (ie, fenced, with only a few exits), although Rolph remains on lead, because that naughtiness can come out at any moment - usually the wrong one.
Clara has been  so good, I carry tiny treats in my pocket and every time she rushes back to me, she gets one which means she never goes far and comes back often.

Anyway, there we were, enjoying the beauty and peace of this place. We crossed the stream, with Clara running ahead. She then went a little too far and I called her. No response - the nose was to the floor. I called again, loudly, and she just accelarated off across another bridge. I wasn't too worried as we were in the centre of the park, but I realised she had gone down by the lake - where the fishermen are.
I continued calling her
I then heard a man shouting "leave it!", "drop it!" and I'm thinking about hooks and maggots so I yelled my fiercest "COME HERE!" and she did - complete with half a loaf of bread hanging out of her mouth.
And over the hedge I could see the man you hope you'll never meet in a dark alley, coming after her. So, I'm down on my knees trying to get his bread back (complete with generous helpings of drool) and so is Rolph. So the three of us are sort-of squatted behind the hedge all trying to gain control of the bread and the-man-you-hope-you'll-never meet looks over the hedge at this spectacle, gives a pitying sigh and says "Let 'im eat it love. They don't understand. They're like small kids." and stalks off.
*sigh*

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK