[Dailydrool] Glaucoma Browser Update

Sally L. Kolitz Russell sally at slokr.com
Wed Sep 23 12:02:08 PDT 2009

You had been so kind in sending me drool when I wrote about Browser's second eye spiking with pressure after one year.  His left eye was lost to this horrible disease one year ago..  While some minimal sight was retained in his right eye after the pressure spike recently, and we were diligently putting drops in his eyes four times a day, two weeks ago he had another pressure spike.  We decided, along with our marvelous eye vet, to have her perform the same ablation proceedure on his right eye as was done on his left last year, as pressure spikes were producing alot of headache pain in him (it was explained to us like it was a migraine).  Unlike humans, dogs (and especially bassets and some other breeds) have a extremely poor prognosis with glaucoma.

It was the best thing we could do as even though Browser is now blind, he has his appetite and energy back which were both being afftected by the methozolamide medication. One wouldn't know that he is blind.  Loves his nightly walk, finds his way without problems around our house, and is our happy fella once again.

For those of you who have experienced blindness in your bassets, they adjust so much better than we do.  However, now my husband and I realize that he will be just fine so we are as well.  His pal Pixel actually follows him around!

Sally, Pixel and Browser