[Dailydrool] Emily update------ still not feeling great, but more answers

Wendie L Prince houndsabound at att.net
Wed Sep 23 12:13:56 PDT 2009

This is her third day in supportive care at the vet for pancreatitis.
The x-rays did not show any tumors , intestinal track looks clear.
She did test pos for pancreatitis, but is not responding well to supportive care treatment. I swear, she did not sleep a wink last night, she was up and down, in and out. I know, because I slept on the floor in the back room to keep an eye on her, hence I am dragging too. The vet did give her a larger dose of pain meds this morning and she went to sleep fast after that. I asked him for one, and he said no...

She had her ultrasound and they found her gall bladder is enlarged, along with her adrenals....she has Cushing's,  her intestine is inflamed also, along with the pancreatitis.
So, we get her through the pancreatitis right now. Address the gall bladder issues,  then address the Cushing's.  Was told not all dogs are treated unless symptomatic.  Well she is to a degree,   has a pot belly type figure,  and has had some increased urination in the last month or so.   (Since she came into rescue a couple months ago, I have had a gut feeling about her belly area, due to its distention, so I am glad we did the ultrasound.)Hard to tell with water intake,  but will try to determine this after she is better. Anyhow,  I think she will be alright.  They also saw some scarring in the pancreas, meaning the pancreatitis is chronic.
They gave her more pain meds today and she did sleep for a good while.  I am so happy for her to get some rest and relief from her pain.  She will come home with more pain meds for later tonight, and we start her on flagyl for the intestinal inflammation.

I think there was a Cushing's group,  Could someone send me a link to it?   I have clueless about Cushing's.

 wen and the Bounders
Please vote for Dallas in the Senior Basset calendar contest at
www.seniorhoundsabound.org