[Dailydrool] 'Heart' dog and heart failure

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 23 15:43:08 PDT 2009

My 'heart' dog, Charles is almost 15.  He is panting at rest - waking up from a deep sleep and panting.  Little bit of coughing.  I know we are dealing with congestive heart failure.  Do we treat?  Do we gently let him go?  My research says dogs do not live long at this age with congestive heart failure.  I do not want him to ever suffer.  He does not seem to be suffering now at all.  Will consult with the vet tomorrow but wanted to get your opinion first.  He was heartworm positive when we adopted him - but that was 13 years ago!  He was treated and has never missed a monthly treatment for heartworm.....could, however, have some weakness due to the heartworm in his past.

I know we are seeing Bassets live past the 15 year mark but I would rather let him go gracefully than ever suffer for one day.  I am not talking about putting him down - but am wondering how aggressively to treat this condition at this age.

xoxoxo and Snooters from Whorelando!!!

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU , BASSETKU and the brand new RESKU!

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me