[Dailydrool] Slater update

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 15:21:33 PDT 2009

Well, my ornery old hound (and he's only 7!) is home! He's somewhere off,
floating around in outer space, and it took a good 15 mins. and some graham
crackers (even though they said he shouldn't eat today... nothing else
worked, honest!) to get him out of the back of the car.

But, good news on many fronts!! Vetman took out the mass, said he's 100%
sure it's a fluid filled cyst, and therefore 100% curative, meaning all is
well, as soon as the incision heals! Also, he removed 3 teeth. Slater had
double canines on the bottom (and I think vet said also top) of his mouth. I
was told he "had funny teeth, no one knows why" when I went to adopt him. I
knew they'd have to come out with about a 10 min. search on google that said
it was a common affliction, and that for the sake of avoiding early tooth
loss, they pull the baby teeth out. Also, had his ears completely flushed,
cleaned & medicated the ears & eyes well he was under.

I'm REALLY not happy that NONE of these issues had been dealt with by the
rescue (where he was in for about 9 mos.) prior to adopting, and frankly the
condition I got him in worried me, and the fact that I had to pay over $600
to get him back on his feet (after adoption fees) also doesn't make me
happy, as they could have easily been remedied prior, with one follow up
appointment!!

But, I'm REALLY HAPPY that I find out all of his problems were curative, and
nothing lingering. Now, if we can only get the double yeast infections in
the ears under control, I think he could be a happy, healthy hound for quite
some time!!

-Karrie, momma to Da Blue Brudders Joey (why's dinner late?!) and Slater
(big purple bunnies, and soft fluffy clouds...), aunty to Checkers & Crispin
(wb)