[Dailydrool] Seizures

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Thu Apr 22 09:38:23 PDT 2010

Every since Ruger had his seizure last week I have been reading up on
seizures and looking for a more holistic approach to helping to treat
him.  I came across a lot of good information, things that I didn't know
or just hadn't really thought about.  But now that I see it makes a lot
of sense. Anyhooo I compiled most of the websites that I visited into a
word document. Complete with name, web address and copy & pasted all of
that sites information on the subject.  This way I can print it out
highlight items of interest or things that I want to ask my vet about.
Example a couple of the websites stated that Heartworm prevention could
trigger a seizure within 1 1/2 weeks of being given. Ruger had his
heartworm prevention 8Apr and his seizure 13 Apr.  Another interesting
tidbit was that most but not all seizure dogs are high anxiety/skittish
and that stress is a large contributor in seizures. Which Ruger is a
little more high strung than Colt. He is fine at home...nothing fazes
him.  But out on our walks or when we go someplace new he is on high
alert.  Like he is on patrol in Iraq or Afghanistan. And the night
before his seizure he was startled so bad on a walk by someone who all
of the sudden turned on music that was at a very loud level, that he
jumped and darn near did a back flip.  In my research I found that there
was several seizure triggers, environmental toxin sensitivity,
(sensitive to cleaning products, especially dryer sheets and fabric
softener), underlying illness, such as Hypoglycemia, Allergies(food or
environmental), Thyroid, and vitamin deficiency, cancer, brain tumors,
and of course Stress. They also had lots of tips on how to help prevent
the seizures, and for the stressed out pups there is several safe herbs
out there that can help. Like Passionflower is an herb known for its
ability to calm overactive nervous systems, which of course can lead to
seizures. Skullcap is a well-known calming herb with properties to ease
overactive nervous systems, just to name a few.  There is a lot more
good information.  If anyone would like a copy of my Compiled Seizure
Word document please e-mail me off list and I will be more than happy to
send it to you.

As for Ruger so far he has not had any more seizures. But I am going to
follow some of the tips on some of the websites and hopefully prevent
any further seizures in by baby boy.

Drool to all the sick Houndies.
Michele, Momma to the Bad Ass Basset Brothers
Colt, "Ruger is a scaredie cat"
Ruger, "I'm just on high alert to protect the Momma"