[Dailydrool] gus's dental work

Sfwill at aol.com Sfwill at aol.com
Thu Apr 1 04:56:49 PDT 2010

as it turned out, in addition to the cleaning, they found a fractured
tooth, so that was removed.  we were sent home with rimadyl for 5 days and  an
antibiotic.
gus has only been with me for 6 months (he's almost 4) and has never been
ill, so to see him in this state was so horrible.  he cried, not the
whimper i hear when he's hungry) but cried and cried all the way home.   what a
different sound it was to hear!  he was very disoriented when we got  home.
wouldn't even smell the soft food i prepared and wouldn't even sip  water.
just cried and cried.  i would belly-rub him to sleep and that  would work
for 5-10 minutes, then he'd wake up and we'd start again.  i  planted myself
on the floor next to him throghout the evening and then took the  mattress
out of the sofabed and put it on the floor; i knew he'd never get up on  the
bed, as he usually does, but he wouldn't even take the 4 inch step up to the
mattress on the floor.  so i laid on the edge and continued to belly-rub
him to sleep until my arms couldn't do it anymore.  he slept and so did  i.
but we had a breakthrough at 3.  he woke up, cried but CLIMBED UP  TO THE
MATTRESS.  i was so relieved.  he didn't squish into me like  normal, but he
took the step up and settled in.  at 5, he woke up, did a  big stretch,
squished into me, no crying, and fell sound asleep and for the  first time since
we came home, his sleep was the deep sleep i'm used to  hearing.  we got up
at 7, he was ravenous (wouldn't even smell the food i  literally put under
his nose last night) and he ate a soft breakfast, demanded  his dessert, gave
him a small cookie, ate it, took his pain med hidden in a pill  pocket,
went outside twice and now he's whimpering a little, not crying out like  last
night and he's settled on the pull-out that i put the mattress back  on.  so
i think we turned a corner.  but i'll tell you this: i cannot  imagine what
it's like to have a sick child.  i had one last night and i  cried right
next to him all night long.
we thank you all for your drool sent.  i'm staying home from work  today to
help him back to normal and then, we'll both enjoy easter weekend, as i
hope for all of you and those gorgeous hounds!
susan, loving slave to gus
gus-my toof hurts but i lub all da belly wubs i'm  gettin!