[Dailydrool] Loving a puppy mill basset

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Thu Apr 1 09:08:51 PDT 2010

I am currently the slave of 3 true puppy mill bassets (2 are fosters).  My girls were all born in a puppy mill and lived their most of their lives, producing litter after litter of babies.  My Nelly Belle is 10 years old and though she has only been with me for a year and a half she is a very healthy girl now.  She is also the sweetest gal around.  Sophee Maree and Isabelle have only been with me for 3 1/2 months but like Nelly Belle once we got those nasty teeth, ear infections and some weight on them they are healthy.  Thank God!  Of course there have been the other issues such as lack of socialization and fears that we are working through slowly but I know they will one day be blossom into bassets with all the bassetitude you could ever want.  Just look at it this way.  Your baby needed a safe home, he needed to be loved and he needed a slave to do his bidding.  You are providing that.  He is a very lucky boy.  Some puppy mill bassets are not that lucky.

As far as health problems, you just never know but you can't worry about it all the time.   So you love them, heart and soul while they are with you,  you take care of the issues when they come up and you say "I will be seeing you.  I love you" through the tears when they journey on to the Rainbow Bridge.  So no matter how long they are physically with you, they are forever in your heart.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang