[Dailydrool] Loving a puppy mill basset

Dawn dlvj at ptd.net
Thu Apr 1 05:54:30 PDT 2010

I am blessed to be loved by 2 sweet (well maybe 1 not so sweet, more bossy) basset hounds and they both came from puppy mills and were sold originally at local pet stores.  I am not the original on either of them and although we did pay for both of them I almost have to consider them being rescued.  Lucy was 6 months old when we got her and she was "sold" because they couldn't house train her and she wouldn't stop piddling in the house.  It did take us about a year to get her to stop completely but now she rules the house with an iron paw.  We didn't get her papers with her but I went to the pet store and found out that she came from Lancaster, PA.  I do know that the original owner paid $750 for her because they showed me the invoice at the pet store.

Lilly who just turned 1 in December is a true puppy mill dog if ever there was one.  I did get papers with her if you want to call them that.  They are not AKC, just some sort of registration from the breeder.  I looked online and found out that she is one of those Amish breeders from Iowa that were being investigated for so many things.  Lilly was afraid of people and still is today even though she has received nothing but love here.  If someone comes to the house that she doesn't know well she runs away and tries to hide.  At the same time, because she is such a follower of Lucy and Daisy the lab, she wants attention and tries to approach people but as soon as they might go to pet her she is petrified.  I also think Lilly might have been somewhat abused by her original owner that we bought her from.  She had a scar on her head and according to the previous owner that was from the pet shop because they had her in a pen with a pit bull.  Well of course I went right to the pet store where she came from and they don't sell pit bulls there nor do they have puppies together.  As it turned out, the people had 2 chows and they admitted that they were nasty at times.

These 2 little ladies give us so much love and it really doesn't matter to us that they are from pet stores and puppy mills.  We love them as our children just as Daisy the lab who we rescued and is also from a Lancaster, PA puppy mill.
I know this is long but it's difficult to express how special these pet shop, puppy mill hounds can become.  Healthwise, so far they are fine with no problems.  Lucy will be 3 in June and Lilly is 1.  They are loved very much.  They sleep in bed with us every night and yes it is crowded and Lucy especially is a bed hog but we wouldn't have it any other way.
Just remember that song "A Basset is a Basset" and that is so true.

Dawn Jackson, momslave to Lucy Lou and Lilly Olivia