[Dailydrool] New bassest owner

Marica P Garvey maricagarvey at comcast.net
Tue Apr 6 11:18:10 PDT 2010

Hello basset lovers
I have a 6 month old female basset pup Selina. Got her from a breeder
in Georgia. Dayna from Harmony hounds, anyone familiar with this
breeder?
I have her on a slow growing low protein raw diet.
Selina just got spade, during the visit western vet checked her hips
and ears. Found a yeast ingestion in one ear, we are treating that
with a cream in the ear and I'm giving Selina a candida nosode. That's
a homeopathic remedy, i've taken it a few times my self and it worked
in a few days.  I suspect she got that from the parvovirus vaccine.  I
clean her ears every week. The vet then said something suspect and
disturbing. She said she checked Selinas hips and knees and they were
loose, then she said she is pretty sure this dog has hip dysplasia and
suggested xrays now or wait until she is one.  I had a chat with Dayna
her breeder and Dayna said:

>> Most all bassets have loose hips as pups
>> Your vet is dead wrong about the x-rays at one year - OFFA
>> (Orthopedic
>> Foundation For Animals) require any dog to be AT LEAST 2 years old
>> before they will accept x-rays to determine is a dog (any breed of
>> dog) is
>> dysplastic.  And then you get a team of doctors evaluating hips
>> and  elbows
>> -so it's not just one doctor's opinion. And that vet who takes the
>> x-  rays
>> must be certified to take OFFA x-rays - not all vets are.  Be
>> careful -
>> x-rays are an easy way for vets to make oodles of money.....I don't
>> even x-ray dogs anymore before they turn 2 - it's a waste of my
>> money and
>> padding for vet wallets.....  I have learned the expensive way.
>>
>> Was your pup having any issues with walking?  If not - that would
>> definitely send up a red flag.
>>
>> You may want to mention to your vet that our dogs are certified with
>> OFFA and ask that vet if he/she is certified to take OFFA x-rays. But
>> other than that conversation - unless your pup has issues after the
>> age of 2 -
>> don't x-ray - bassets do not have normal hips, elbows, knees - they
>> are not
>> supposed to ........... they are DWARFS.  Most common vets will
>> confuse that
>> and have you freaked out that your dog is deformed.  OFFA vets are
>> trained
>> to look at those x-rays and they have a reason for waiting until the
>> pup is at least 2 - you can't tell anything definite until then......
>>

> End Qote

Selina has had a few issues with limping.  The first time we noticed
it was after she was attacked by a golden retriever (she was on lead).
I quickly picked her up. The next day she was limping. I had a massage
therapist work in her, after just one session the limp was gone.
Then I stupidly took her on very long walks and it came back, massage
again and no limp.
She has been limp free for a month. I've only had her 2.5 months.
I read about Pano.
So this is my first basset hound. I had three mutts in the past, I raw
feed, I treat hiplistically and I'm a stay at home mom so dog is never
left alone.
I know about crate training. Selina still has accidents in the house
but I do understand it's my fault.  I know they can take up to 9 or
more months to potty train.
Any advice is welcome.
We have a 16 month old baby, dog and baby are perfect together!!
Marica