[Dailydrool] New owner

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 12:56:34 PDT 2010

*Listen to your breeder about hips and knees!!!!!!!*
Almost all Basset babies have loose hips and knees that seem to luxate to a
Vet. They ALWAYS want to get in there surgically and fix it. WAIT. For a
year. At least. Wait until the growth plates have closed. I don't care what
your Vet says, the chances are excellent that there is absolutely not one
thing wrong with her hips or knees that you would not find in the next 100
Basset pups.
When the University of Wisconsin Orthopedics Dept x-rayed one of my puppies
for a serious bone problem (not what you are talking about) they said to me
"We do not really KNOW what is NORMAL for a Basset."
My own Vet acknowledges this. We very nearly fixed knees on my bitch because
Doc thought they were luxating and when the Orthopedic surgeon looked at her
and the x-rays he said NO WAY AM I TOUCHING THIS. There is nothing wrong.
She's a puppy, her ligaments aren't tight, her growth plates aren't closed,
in 6 months bring her back and I bet that knee is fine, and it was.

I am not the only one who is going to tell you this.
If a Golden Retriever bounced you around a few times, you might limp for a
day or two also. Big difference between soft tissue injury and a broken bone
but listen to your breeder about hip dysplasia and luxating kneecaps. She is
not kidding. And she's right.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper