[Dailydrool] Qw. Olive ATB

Marilyn Deucher mjdeucher at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 6 17:32:26 PDT 2010

One of the hardest things I've ever done is to put ATB after Olive's name.  She has been such a big part of our lives for the past six years, it seemed like she was destined to go on forever.  However, yesterday, April 5, at the grand old age of 15, time and infirmities had taken their toll, and she was ready to join her friends at the Rainbow Bridge, so many of whom had gone on before her:  Our little Rudy, Judy the Beagle, Qw. Ethel, Qw. Sadie Sue, Pw. Ms Brandy, Pw. Annie, Taco Bell, Uncle Chili, feyfey,  nudgie, and of course, Cakie -- and I know I've forgotten some, sorry about that.  These are ones whose lives have been interwoven with hers one way or another, during her lifetime with us.

 She came to us at the age of nine, from Michigan Basset Rescue, following our loss of Qw. Poppy.  She stepped right in as though she had been there forever, taking charge and being the alpha dog to the rest of the pack.  We don't know her past history -- she was rescued from a shelter in Flint, fostered by Michele Mahalek for a month and then moved in with us.

She always had something to say, and ruled with an iron paw.  She loved people, especially children, but she wasn't fond of other dogs, especially in her space.  The big exception was our Maggie Beagle, a rescue who moved in a month after Olive.  They shared an incredible bond, as though they understood where the other came from.  She was a good "mama" to our puppies, first Rudy and then Chunky.  He adored her, even though she was always ordering him around.

She following in Poppy's fundraising footsteps, and raised thousands of dollars for basset rescue.  At her first Boardwaddle she followed a photographer around all day, resulting in her picture being in the next day's Ocean City Press.   She began promoting fudge in an effort to raise enough money to become MBR's Waddle Queen after falling short in 2007 and settling for the title of Lady in Waiting.  In 2008 she and King Bob were both successful in their quest and shared the royal carriage through the streets of Birmingham. She loved to socializel - she made several trips to the Boardwaddle and her performances in the obstacle course in the Tri-State Olympics are legendary. After her appearances at Michigan's waddles, she worked the crowds on the sidewalks, looking for pets.  The year she was queen, two youngsters asked if they could give her some beads, and presented her with several strands that she wore proudly.  Today the beads hang on our
 basset Christmas Tree.

She sponsored the first Ohio Basset Rescue Mini-Waddle in Berea as part of the local Christmas Parade which had its start about 5 years ago with  a handful of hounds and has grown to several dozen (in the middle of winter) and has drawn the attention and support of local TV-8 weatherman, Dick Goddard.

We expected that she would be traveling back to NJ next week to make yet another appearance in the Obstacle Course and bring home another "Bassetude Award" to go with the three she already has, but it was not to be.  Instead she will be watching from above with her friends, and hoping that Chunky will bring home another box of biscuits to share with Maggie.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts to all of you who have sent drool, prayers and good wishes for our beloved Ollie.  I'll try to answer all of you individually, but it may take some time.

We miss you Olive!
Mom, Dad, Maggie Beagie and Chunky