[Dailydrool] Lawns, pesticides and dogs

Roland, Duke of Ears handsomehounds at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 09:58:19 PDT 2010

We don't have fire ants here in Oregon, nor do we have a problem with fleas outside (the dogs get flea prevention meds).  For weeds, I now just spot control with Round-up.  I use some form of nitrogen to keep the lawn green.  I put N on and keep the dogs away from the lawn until it has had a chance to be watered in.  I try to use organic sources of nitrogen whenever possible.  I would not use weed and feed because you're broadcasting a mixture of herbicides you probably don't need.

Most lawns will revert to a mixed bunch of grasses over a few years. They will not remain the rye or fescue you had planted.  With dogs, you're never going to have a golf course quality lawn anyway.

Janice

Janice Henry Colvin