[Dailydrool] Loving epithets

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 17:53:43 PDT 2010

I enjoy the descriptors attached to many of our Drool hounds--Evil Annie, Maggie Waggs, Roland Duke of Ears, Stella B Low.

One of the ways my husband and I have coped with the less lovable side effects of our hound, Bo's, difficult year with ulcerative colitis this past year has been to give him nicknames. It occurred to me that I probably haven't shared these with Droolers, and now that Bo (knock on wood) is doing better, I thought I'd do so.

He is alternately known as "Mr. Pee-body" (side effect of prednisone)--as in:"Mr. Pee-body has dosed the rug again..."; the "Triple B" (Bad-Bowels Bo, Bum-Butt Bo)--nuff said; or, lastly, "Babs" (Bad-ass Bo-that sonofabitch). Our landlady has let us know that if we ever move out of this rental we are replacing the carpeting for her. Weekly Bissell shampooings only go so far.

And, lastly, I wanted to share the last bit of the comedian we saw the other night on TV (Ecklund?). He did a bit about the family dogs which was not about their basset hound, but could have been, and reminded me of Nigel and Mr. Cooper Sir. The comedian's family owns four dogs--two dachshunds (weiner dogs), one basset hound, and a German shepherd. The comedian said, "One night I heard this horrible screaming in the backyard and ran to the door. One of the weiner dogs was outside in our fenced yard, and damned if a coyote hadn't jumped the fence and pinned that dog to the ground. Then, whoosh, there was a swipe of fur next to me and our German shepherd was charging to the rescue. That coyote did a triple somersault back over the fence. A few days later I looked out the window to our driveway and saw three coyotes sitting there looking into our backyard. Here is what they were saying: 'First coyote: boy, those look delicious. Second coyote: don't even
 think about it. Ask Frank what happened to him the other night. Those little dogs are just bait".