[Dailydrool] Spray collars

Sally King sally.king at nqe.com
Fri Apr 9 01:24:36 PDT 2010

I'm sure some of the Drool's professional trainers will come in on this subject, but here is my two cents on the subject.
Spray collars come in two types, the auto type, that just goes off whenever your hound makes a noise and the type you have a remote control to, which you chose when the spray goes off. This system also has a warning beep, so first time you beep them as a warning, then if the behaviour continues, you spray them.

I believe these collars can be very useful for correcting certain behaviours and I use them myself in certain situations. HOWEVER, I really wouldn't use one on a puppy.

Puppies, like babies, need to be taught calmly and carefully. Putting an auto spray collar on is likely to do more harm than good. These collars are indiscriminate and go off for any loud noise, or if the dogs hits it against the floor, bowl, furniture etc. A short-legged basset baby would have it going off constantly which would either quickly teach them to ignore it, or turn them into a nervous wreck.

Personally, I wouldn't use the remote collar on a puppy either. It's a bit like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. If Henry is barking constantly, you need to understand why he is doing it and teach him not to. Is he bored? Is there something outside that upsets him? Can he see loads of people/dogs/cars going past your house and thinks he's protecting you? When you know why he's doing it, you can address the problem. And the command "No Bark" can be taught, curtains can be drawn to block sightlines and more games and toys can be introduced.

Good luck

Sally, with Rolph (who hates the spray and will do anything to avoid it) and Clara (who doesn't terribly care if a spray collar goes off)