[Dailydrool] Bark collars

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 05:59:17 PDT 2010

Do NOT use a bark collar on a puppy.  A bark collar should be used as a LAST
effort to train a dog regarding barking.  It is my understanding that a bark
collar is used along with training.  It does not train the dog by itself.

Puppies will bark - especially if they are left alone for a typical work
day.  They are bored and lonely.

Our foster Ollie is quite the barker.  For the first 72 hours, you could not
leave his sight without him barking non-stop.  Part of his problem is
separation anxiety.  Even though he was surrounded by other bassets, he felt
he was being abandoned by the human (even if there was another person in the
room).  I requested a bark collar for him.  When it arrived a few days
later, Ollie was getting more settled in.  He still will bark when you first
leave a room but he's starting to understand that it's a temporary thing.

Jan
Lady & Grace