[Dailydrool] Lawn Chemicals

Tom Hickcox cometkazie1 at cox.net
Fri Apr 9 09:03:45 PDT 2010

There are several actions we as consumers can take.  I've heard any
number of listers assert that they don't know what is being put on their lawns.

The simple thing to do is to ask the company to supply you with the
Material Safety Data Sheets/MSDS for all the materials being applied
to your lawn.

If they act stupid, call their office.  OSHA regulations require the
companies to maintain files of them for materials their employees are
exposed to.  They are also required to do a certain amount of
training of their employees on the hazards of these materials.  I
wouldn't be surprised if the company hasn't already given you a
folder with some of the information.

If they refuse to, tell them you will do business with a company that
supplies this info.  They really don't have much wiggle room.

If they supply you with MSDSs, I would suggest going over them with a
health professional like your vet or maybe you have a friend that is
a nurse, industrial hygienist, safety engineer, or the like.  It
takes a certain amount of professional skill to read them and get
much useful information.  I used to write MSDSs for my company, and I
used what we call weasel words in order to convey that there was a
hazard without scaring the readers.  You could say they are written
in a sort of code.

I lived in a house where I used lawn services and had no trouble
whatsoever with my basset ladies as a result of the chemicals.

Tommy H in Baton Rouge