[Dailydrool] I would "never"...

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 16:20:49 PDT 2010

In my opinion the only time never should be used is in 'never say never'. There are times when circumstances require some re-thinking of 'never'. In the case of stop-bark collars for instance. Not all dawgs are Blessed and born into the arms of a gentle breeder and then handed to a new family with all the resources needed to train this little bundle of fur to be a well behaved big dawg. Puppies are babies and need to learn- but once they are adults and may have spent many months doing unwanted things, and then are finally rescued into that loving family... they may come with problems. Not everything can be trained 'away'. With patience, love and training many dawgs will become great dawgs. Some may need more help. Should a dawg, who has barked relentlessly at everything, never having been trained otherwise be euthanized- because no amount of training will change him now?? If a device that won't harm him will teach him there are times to not bark? I have no "letters" to put after my name, nor any papers to show, but have trained lots of dawgs. Have worked with a trainer in my youth. I do not use punishment ever- but I have seen these collars work on bassets that just did not learn any other way. Also not every person is patient or knowledgeable enough to train. Not everyone has the time or resources to pay for someone else to do it. If a device is able to do what they can not- and there is no harm done, and it saves that dawg, in my opinion it is worth it. I am sure there are many who disagree- that's ok, I'm not asking you to agree with me. Please no private notes either, you won't change my mind. I have never used or owned one of these collars, but have seen them work and believe they can do good.

Angelika