[Dailydrool] The Great UFO Caper

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 12:25:42 PDT 2010

Last night all hell broke loose in our backyard.   We recently moved into a
house with a roommate, and we added our two bassets to her two long leggers
(a shepherd mix and saluki mix).  My 3-year old basset, Elphaba, and the
saluki, Vinnie,  often play the bark and chase me game in the middle of the
night, so I wasn’t surprised when at about 3 am I heard barking from the two
night owls.  What was surprising was it wasn’t the play-bark I’m used to
hearing, but a definite “there is something wrong” bark.  In seconds the
shepherd mix, Jesse, had joined the fray.  Before I could make it out the
bedroom door, the deep alpha bark of my 13-year-old basset Copper (who can’t
make it out the dog door) had joined the now panicked sounding chorus.

I race out, open the back door so Copper can join the others, and venture
out to see what army is invading our yard.   All 4 dogs are reluctant to
leave the safety of the patio to confront the foe, so I walk to the end of
the patio and what do I see?  On the far side of the sizeable yard, hovering
about 3 feet of the ground and trailing a white ribbon all the way to the
ground, is a powder-blue latex helium balloon with the words “it’s a boy”
written all over it.
I could barely stop laughing long enough to get my shoes and retrieve the
offending UFO.
Brenda- Momslave to Copper and Elphaba (we swear little green aliens we
going to file out at any time!)