[Dailydrool] Concerns about Baxter

Jeannie Moore jeanniemmoore at cox.net
Mon Apr 12 19:45:55 PDT 2010

I've been a member of the drool since I got Baxter when he was six weeks
old.  He will be six in October.  I can remember reading about all the joys
(and challenges) other basset lovers experience.  I've laughed, cried and
learned a great deal from the postings over the years.  I was determined to
be the very best mom ever:  correct instruction during those LONG first
months of training, proper diet, lots of exercise, watching his weight and
loving him.  However, he's my first basset and after a 30 year span between
my previous dogs (St. Bernards) and I'm worried something is wrong other
than normal aging.

Baxter has always been an active dog.  My husband and I walk him morning and
night (except when it's raining since he thinks he will melt).  The last
couple of weeks he occasionally becomes lame in one hip/leg.  He can hardly
weigh bear until he gets up moving around but then (sometimes within an hour
of that slow movement) he will tear out chasing a rabbit with ears flapping.
He is eating, drinking and all other functions seem normal but there is just
something off.  He has regular checkups, has had heartworm medication his
whole life and regular shots.  His weight is 67 lbs. and the vet says he's
not overweight.  He does have numerous cysts that have formed over the last
three years but each time I question the vet he tells me they are no
concern.

I just watch his behavior and feel something is wrong.  He lays on his side
and seems almost unresponsive at times.  He loves his chair.but now he jumps
down and just lays in front of it.  His attitude just seems very different
from his previous upbeat, playful self.  The vet doesn't think I have
anything to worry about since Baxter acted like he's the picture of health
when I took him in.   But that nagging feeling just won't go away.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should be looking for?  I'm not sure
what the aging process looks like but he seems very young compared to the
ages of some of the seniors I read about.  I love him so much and would just
never forgive myself if I was missing something I could have a vet check.

I feel somewhat silly reading my post but thought maybe those of you that
have had numerous babies could help me with mine.