[Dailydrool] Basset Intelligence

Tom Hickcox cometkazie1 at cox.net
Wed Apr 14 07:13:44 PDT 2010

At 08:57 4/14/2010, you wrote:

>Message: 10
>Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 04:35:05 -0400
>From: "R Groves" <dd-post at thegroves.net>
>To: "'An internet mail list designed to entertain and inform basset
>         hounds and      their people.'" <dailydrool at dailydrool.org>
>Subject: Re: [Dailydrool] Basset Intelligence
>
>I think there was some hookie test that was supposedly the marker of
>intelligence.. cover the dog and see how long until they "uncover"
>themselves.
>
>We basset people have known for a VERY long time that Bassets "don't care"
>**UNTIL** food enters the picture.  I could cover my hounds, they'd be
>oblivious to the world, sleeping soundly, or just lifting their head like
>"whoa dood, you turned out the lights? oh well man.. I'm fine.." and then go
>back to nappies .... but the second you start to crinkle a chips or treats
>baggie ... don't be anywhere near that cover or it might just be wrapped
>around you as the hound leaves from under it like a tornado hitting piles of
>open lumber..
>
>The truth in their "intelligence" test didn't really test with anything a
>dog wants.. just if they cared whether they were covered or not... and like
>I imply.. bassets are generally easy going unless they have some curiosity
>to attend to ... mailman, treat bag, a visitor (human or otherwise) ....
>
>So.. I say.. its the intelligent ones that just lay there, undisturbed by
>the little things... they know what really matters..
>
>Others say.. if you want proof dogs can count.. put four treats in your
>pocket then only give your doggie three .... see if they know what's what..

I saw an ad for pet food on TV last night that has a lovely basset as
well as one of the sight hounds, maybe a whippet.

They pour some food in the dogs' dishes and the basset reacts a whole
lot quicker than the other hound and is half-way to the kitchen
before the other gets out of its bed.

They know what is important.

Tommy H in Baton Rouge