[Dailydrool] Are bassets smart?

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 07:41:45 PDT 2010

I suppose that's a bit like saying are people smart? Most are,some are very smart indeed and some are not.

In the same way, some hounds are not smart - but I haven't met one yet.

Of course, if you mean can you train them to do exactly what you want when you want them to, like a collie, no, you can't (with, I'm sure, the odd exception). That's because they're bright enough to say "hang on a moment. Why would I WANT to do that? Actually, I don't, so I won't."

IMHO

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK