[Dailydrool] Calendar Day

Connie Moen two.bassets at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 10:53:41 PDT 2010

Today is Miss Molly of Vegas (formerly Miss Molly of Belfair) & Hank the
Tank's Calendar Day.

Miss Molly came to us from Cascadia Basset Rescue in Olympia  on July 31,
2005 and will be 11 years old in June.  She had lost one eye from Glaucoma
before she came to us and we have been able to save the other eye with daily
drops and pills.  She is the sweetest "I'm in Charge" Basset we have ever
owned and I can even imagine life without her.   When she arrived she wasn't
interested in meeting Ernie (atb), who was in the yard waiting, instead she
went straight to the door, pushed it opened and checked out the house.
Fortunately for us, she approved and decided to stay.

Hank arrived June 29, 2008 from Las Vegas Basset Rescue and he was 9 in
February.  Hank is completely blind, the vet thinks it was probably from
birth (retinal detachment).  I never realized how easy it is to have a blind
dog - it took a couple of days and he has the house, all the rooms
(including the garage) memorized - also the back door, back yard, front door
and courtyard.  We also have a dog park we walk to twice a day.  It took him
about 2 days to learn the fence around the park and now he can run with out
the leash and manages to stop just before the fence.  Hank loves everyone -
if he hears a strange voice and wants to meet them and when he puts his big
paw on your foot it means "scratch me, pet me - I'm down here".

They say Bassets aren't smart - well I hate to think where that puts me,
took me longer to find my way to the grocery store and back home when we
moved than it took him to memorize the whole floor plan and maneuver around
the furniture.

Now you have the story of today's Calendar Kids. and they are our kids.

Connie & Roger and the Bassets, Miss Molly of Vegas, Hank the Tank, Ernie
(atb), Alice (atb), Cleo (atb)  Duchess (atb)