[Dailydrool] The Diet Wars have begun

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 16:13:01 PDT 2010

We are at war--Bo (the bad-butt-basset) and I. Since our last vet visit, when Bo  was ordered onto a diet. I have cut down portion sizes and increased walks. Bo does not like to walk very much, and has increased his flat-basset behavior. I will not give up. We are walking about an hour to an hour and a half each morning--but the pace of this walk is at best a sniff-stroll-rest-pull and we are not putting on much mileage (yet).

But the food cut-down is producing even more dramatic behavioral results. Usually, for about a half-hour to an hour before mealtimes, Bo starts dancing and grumbling to remind me of the state of his hunger-drive. He has also increased this behavior--all night last night at hourly or so intervals, just out of my reach. I was (and am) tired this morning. So I went into the bedroom that has the door that doesn't push open, closed the door, and went back to bed. Bo went to the place where we keep our shoes (by the front door; a Hawaiian custom), and peed all over my shoes!

He has also started snapping at his brother, Harley, who is an angel, and at Harley's chihuahua girlfriend, Ruby, if either gets too close. Clearly this is war.

Plus, it looks like Bo has a hemangiosarcoma on his skin which is scheduled for removal next week. Come next Thursday we will be asking for a little "not invasive" drool. My husband, who is less than thrilled with Bo's ongoing medical expenses has begun to wonder if Mother Nature is trying to bump Bo off. In my husband's words, "There is something just not right with that dog". Ah well, despite all of the above, he's really very sweet and we love him dearly. Bo sends snooters to Miss Angela, who he knows will appreciate his ill humor regarding dieting.