[Dailydrool] Diet question

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Sat Apr 17 16:48:49 PDT 2010

About 2-3 months ago, my vet told me that Annie needed to lose 7-10 lbs (she weighed 67 lbs at the time.)  Fred is on a bit of a diet too (he went about a month ago, and needed to lose maybe 3 lbs, not much.)  We've been doing well, and I definitely think that Annie has lost weight.  It's hard to tell with her, because she's had puppies and has a belly that hangs down, but when you look at her from above, she has a definite waist now, which is one of the things I've read you should see.  Sometimes I even think I can see a rib bone, although not as visible as Fred's (he has much less skin though, and is more muscular.)  Anyway, she's not really due back at the vet until next year I think, and there's no way that I can weigh myself and then pick her up and get back on the scale (without killing us both!)  Should I just keep her on her diet plan unless she starts to look too thin??  I don't want to under-feed her, but if I go back to her old way of eating, I know she'll just gain the weight back.  Also, I have no idea how long it takes for a dog to lose 10 lbs...although I doubt she's lost 10 yet.

Rose, Annie (I hate diets) and Fred (I'm extremely athletic and muscular, so why I'm on a diet is a mystery to me.)