[Dailydrool] Lucy's Allergies

Linda Gardner hockeyphans at verizon.net
Sun Apr 18 04:25:13 PDT 2010

Lucy's has horrific allergies (maple trees, goldenrod, mold, dust
mites, etc.) - no matter what time of the year there's something she's
allergic to.  She's also allergic to certain foods (oatmeal, barley,
potatoes, duck).  She doesn't itch with her allergies, she sneezes,
blows snot all over, and coughs.  A former owner (we're her fourth)
had her tested, and she's on allergy shots every three weeks.  Not
having her from puppyhood (we got her at 6), I'm not sure how she'd be
without the shots, and my vet really doesn't want to try taking her
off at her age (10).

I've had her on benedryl and have switched to a generic form of
Claritin (cheaper).  I'm still determining if that's better than the
benedryl.  Neither really eliminates the runny nose and coughing.
I've tried giving her Robitussin DM per my vet, but I am not able to
get her to take it.  I've even tried masking it in applesauce.  I
think the Robitussin would help breakup the mucous in her chest and
stop some of the coughing.  I give her Tussin pills to help control
the hacking at night (it has literally kept me up sometimes).  Those
of you who have successfully given your pups Robitussin - what is your
secret????

Oh, and if you think basset drool is potent, her snot will literally
peel the paint off metal.  We have to repaint the radiator covers
every year.  Too bad I can't market it.

Linda and Lucy (I'm adorable), Jake and Elwood-the Blues Brothers
(ATB), Bubba (ATB)