[Dailydrool] Suzy Q. Basset

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 06:50:37 PDT 2010

I can't believe it! Our Suzy Q. is three years old today! We're just amazed
at what a different hound she is compared to when she came to us. Suzy came
to us when she was almost five months old from a young girl who left her in
a crate over twenty hours a day with a bark collar on. Suzy hadn't been
socialized at all and really didn't have any personality. She had learned to
pee and poop and lay in it so she didn't give a rip if her personal space
was clean or not. Believe me, teaching her that fouling her personal space
isn't a good thing has been interesting because we discovered very early on
that she also is incontinent. The thought is that she never developed good
sphincter control because of the crate abuse but we've got that pretty well
under control with medication. Suzy started limping after she had been with
us for a couple of months and ultimately had to have a bone in her front leg
surgically broken because one growth plate had solidified while the other
bones continued to grow and it was pulling her elbow apart. Believe it or
not, it actually ended up being a good thing in a couple of ways. Not only
did her leg get fixed but, because she and I were basically joined at the
hip and I had to be with her just about every minute, she finally learned
that she was supposed to do her business outside during that time! There is
always a silver lining to every problem, isn't there?

If we have anything to do with it, Suzy will *never* be crated again. We've
made her a pretty plush bedroom in a bathroom that is just off our family
room where all of the Houndettes sleep at night so she is never alone. We
have gone through some trials and tribulations with this sweet girl but she
has turned into one of the most loving, sweet natured dogs that you could
ever ask for. She has enriched our household and it has been such a joy to
watch her bloom into the wonderful Houndette that she has become. There will
be a celebration tonight at the Houndettes house and the drool will be
gladly spread to all who need it!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow,
Suzy (whoo hooo, a party for mememe!!)