[Dailydrool] My Daphneyland Adventure

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Apr 22 15:13:22 PDT 2010

As some of you know, I had a Daphneyland Adventure last week.  I truly
believe that if you breed, you MUST also be involved in rescue.  I have been
involved with Michigan Basset Rescue for eons (and will continue to be as
involved as possible).  I met Dawn in 1999 when Nick was King of the Waddle
and have always wanted to visit Daphneyland.  Since I retired two years ago,
I decided that it was time for me to do this.  I decided I was going to fly
out, stay a week, and work with Dawn through a full week of wrangling
bassets.  Now, I am not a "young chick" but dog shows have trained me well
and I as strong (physically and mentally).  I think Dawn was surprised I
could keep the pace . but I was determined.  The hours are long (up at 8 AM
and rarely to bed before 1 PM); the work is hard and the hounds are
WONDERFUL!   The day starts with preparing food bowls (there were 83 dogs in
the kennel and 7 house dogs, plus the 9 puppies), getting the kennel dogs
out of their indoor runs and out into the yards, bleaching down the kennel
runs (inside and outside)(ceiling to floor, beds and bowls on M-W-F  and
bleach mopped on T-TH-Sat-Sun), changing bedding in all the runs, scooping
poop (non-stop), washing all the dog dishes and sanitizing them, doing
laundry (18 hours a day . literally!).  Sometime between noon and 2 PM
(depending on the number of volunteers), morning chores are done.  Then it
is time for some belly rubs, grooming (about 5 dogs each day get their nails
trimmed), behavioral and obedience work with select dogs, and more belly
rubs.  About 5 PM, most of the dogs are ready for a nap, so dogs are
returned to their indoor/outdoor runs and the dogs who can't handle the
larger pack are grouped into smaller packs for extended exercise and
socialization.  By 7 PM, all dogs (except Phil who is feral and doesn't want
to go into a run because the last time that happened he was neutered!) are
in runs.  If all goes well, we returned to the house and got some dinner,
checked emails, Dawn returned phone calls and we rubbed bellies for the
house dogs.  At 10 PM it was back up to the kennel, dogs were fed, all the
dogs were put out for a 30 minute exercise period, indoor and outdoor runs
were scooped/mopped of any "accidents", bedding checked/replaced, water
bowls filled and all dogs brought in for the night.  The outdoor run doors
were shut, furnace and heaters turned on and then it was time for the
nighttime ritual of cookies for all and Dawn singing "When you wish upon a
star".  It is amazing to be able to hear a pin drop in a kennel of 80+ dogs
as you walk down the center, listening to Dawn sing to them.   Put the last
load of laundry in . and back to the house about midnight.  Cookies and
belly rubs for house dogs, last call for potty stops and hope to be in bed
by 1 PM or so.

The majority of the hounds are seniors (at least 8 years old or older), many
arrived with inoperable tumors, glaucoma and other problems.  All get lots
of love, quality food, a warm place to sleep, companionship of other bassets
and many people, good vet care and loving passage when it is time to go to
the Bridge.  Obviously, the younger and healthy hounds are adopted first.  I
KNOW I would have trouble being non-judgmental and nice when the phone call
comes in from someone who says (I actually took this call and quickly handed
it off to Dawn) they want to relinquish their 2 year old female because they
have two little kids now and don't have the time for her!  But those
seniors, blind, deaf, disabled, sickly babies are precious and tug at your
heart.  Those hounds are given special treatment, some (6) staying at the
house, some (8) sleeping/hanging out in the grooming room, some (10)
sleeping/hanging out in the suites on each side of the grooming room.
Daphney has decided that the bathroom is her private suite, but she does
allow the humans to use the facilities!

I wrote a daily account of my adventure on Facebook, but for those of you
who are not on Facebook, I have put together a Picasa album of some of the
pics I took.  BTW - I had the privilege of running (well walking) a pack of
28 hounds on my last day --- Cesar Millan only ran 22 hounds . BWAHAHAHAHA!

I had a WONDERFUL time, learned a lot, met many dedicated volunteers,
members of the BaRNI board, members of the Basset Hound Club of Southern
California and fell in love with about 100 hounds!

You are invited to view 105549262686688849868's photo album: Daphneyland
<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=105549262686688849868&target=AL
BUM&id=5462045033568593553&authkey=Gv1sRgCPik9qG8_-74mwE&feat=email>
Adventure

<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=105549262686688849868&target=AL
BUM&id=5462045033568593553&authkey=Gv1sRgCPik9qG8_-74mwE&feat=email>
cid:5462045033568593553

Daphneyland Adventure

Apr 8, 2010
by 105549262686688849868

<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=105549262686688849868&target=AL
BUM&id=5462045033568593553&authkey=Gv1sRgCPik9qG8_-74mwE&feat=email> View
Album

<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=105549262686688849868&target=AL
BUM&id=5462045033568593553&authkey=Gv1sRgCPik9qG8_-74mwE&feat=email&mode=SLI
DESHOW> Play slideshow

Message from 105549262686688849868:

If you are having problems viewing this email, copy and paste the following
into your browser:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=105549262686688849868
<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=105549262686688849868&target=AL
BUM&id=5462045033568593553&authkey=Gv1sRgCPik9qG8_-74mwE&feat=email>
&target=ALBUM&id=5462045033568593553&authkey=Gv1sRgCPik9qG8_-74mwE&feat=emai

To share your photos or receive notification when your friends share photos,
get your own free Picasa Web Albums <http://picasaweb.google.com>  account.

 <http://picasaweb.google.com/> cid:picasaweblogo-en_US.gif

Sandi Wittenberg

Red Bay Bassets