[Dailydrool] new puppy

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 11:12:50 PDT 2010

Congratulations on your new buppy!   In my experience there are bassets of many sizes and shapes.    I call the really long bassets limousine.  My last foster was a smooshy girl with a long body but still all basset and living happily with her new family in Nevada.  WooHoo a success story!

I am guessing that you little girl has never had any potty training so her bladder is not use to holding her urine yet. With free access to water she is going to urinate frequently.  You might try limiting her water intake to every two hours during the day timed so that she can go potty within 15 minutes after she drinks.   I have found that the more grains in a food the more they will tank water.  I always oversoak any kibble because of my fear of bloat but it also lets me see how much the food is going to swell up.  I feed a grain free diet so my gang doesn't drink as much as they use to.

As far as her peeing in her pen while she was waiting to be picked up was she excited to see you?  If so, that could be the reason.  How long was she in the pen and did she have free access to water during that time.   When Sadie Maye was a buppy I would always make sure that I would quietly open the gate and immediately we would "go potty".  She also was not given access to water at night and her last drink was 2 hours before bedtime.  I have used the same method on all my rescues and usually they are potty trained within a month.  I am going to say that buppies take a lot longer than the older rescues I foster.

The other thing you need to consider is that the environment is new.  There is always an adjustment period when you bring home a new basset no matter what the age.  She is going to take a few weeks to settle in to the new routine and feel relaxed.

At her first vet check you may want to have her checked for a UTI especially if she doesn't seem to be able to hold her urine for any amount of time.

Congratulations and welcome to the drool.  Give that baby a belly rub from us.
Karen and The Dog House Gang