[Dailydrool] new puppy

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Fri Apr 23 07:59:31 PDT 2010

I believe what is critical is to hold the rescue group, shelter or breeder accountable for assisting you and guiding you in the first month at the least, of any new dog acquisition.  They are the people with the knowledge of the dog's background, possible health issues and even vet referrals as needed.

No one short of a vet can assess if the dog is having medical urinary issues.  At the same time, if the people you got the dog from know of a situation that might explain this or offer help, then you should be turning to them first and foremost.  It bugs me because I would be on the phone to you at least once a week if not more often in the first month.

Behaviorally, puppies pee and poop willy nilly.  They don't know any better.  You can also see urine if a puppy is scared of something.  It is called submissive urination and can happen when greeting someone or with concerns about being picked up.  You also may be squeezing the bladder when you pick them up.  Hard to say.

If the people you got the dog from are not forthcoming and offer assistance, you can go to the Basset Hound Club of America and look at the member list and contact one of the members near to you and I am sure they will help.

Another source is your puppy trainer.  Of course you have your puppy enrolled in puppy class, so before and after class you can ask them questions.

My point is that I think you need local assistance.

Best*

Sara