[Dailydrool] almost needed bail money......

Wendie L Prince houndsabound at att.net
Fri Apr 23 14:18:58 PDT 2010

First off, we have all in our hearts who have recently lost a beloved hound, and drool going out to all in need....always seem to be too many.

This afternoon,  after about 7 hours in the hot FLA sun with some wonderful SHA volunteers helping get set up for the big yard sale tomorrow,  one of my neighbors stopped by.  He called himself a neighbor, but he lives about 3 streets down.  He was complaining about our signs we put up 10 days ago to advertise the sale.  Granted the signs are each 4ft x 8ft,  there are 2, so that each direction of traffic sees them.  We live on the corner of a somewhat busy street which gives us GREAT location for this yard sale to be a success.  And people know what we do and look forward to this big sale once a year.  (They have requested it 2x a year, but I cannot even think about that!)
So he is flailing his arms, going off how the signs are too much for the neighborhood.   I tried to listen to him but was stuck on too much for the neighborhood, which he never did explain.  He was just in a very bad mood.
I did say I was sorry he was offended, and let him know we do this once a year, all for the dogs.  And then he made the comment........I wonder just how much goes to the dogs.

It was a good thing 2 volunteers were right there as I was about to go ballistic on him.  I did tell him 100 percent goes to the dogs and stopped at that.  He made another comment and I suggested he drive out the other end of the street so he wouldn't see them,  then he started in that I was telling him how to drive.

He was going on now about up until that comment he was doing better with the signs,  so I just told him to have a good day and walked away.  Not at all what I wanted to tell him or do,  but glad I did.

After that, I called the permitting dept and found out you do not need a permit for a yard sale unless you do one over 2x a year.  no problems,  then found out that ALL yard sale signs are against permitting regulations.  ALL,  not just 4x8 ones,  even a 1x1 sign, all against the rules.  So really the size does not matter,  just that it is a yard sale sign.  I will go next week to city hall and find out what I need to do next year to be within permitting reg and just change the signage to say something other than yard sale, but get the point across to folks.  Maybe just put out  Drooling for Dollars.  we will figure it out.,

I think mostly, I was totally insulted that the money would not go to the hounds.  Granted, he doesn't know me.  And if he comes tomorrow,  he will be asked nicely to leave.

Now,  I have to go do my baking for tomorrow and also vacuum a bit.

Many folks have commented how they do not make much money at the yard sale they have done.  We did over 3k last year and I think 2700 the year before.  I think we will do anywhere in between 3 and 4k this year.  SO they are worth our efforts.
Wish us luck please, the weather is looking to be sunny and hot!

arooos.
wen and the Bounders