[Dailydrool] Spencer update - prozac/IBD

Vikki Kiehl vkiehl at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 20:21:59 PDT 2010

Drool to all in need!

So... I know I haven't posted in a while.  Its been hectic.  So far its been
months since Spencer bit me & started on prozac.  He hasn't even snapped at
me.  He's growled & gotten lippy, but no teeth.  Yipeee!  When he becomes
agitated I tell him "go".  He runs away into the other room & waits for me
to bring him a treat.  <giggle>
I think we've also figured out why he does that eating disorder thing...
remember mr poopy string butt?  We are waiting on results tentatively
confirming IBD.  I'm callin' it Irritable Basset Disorder <hee hee>.  We
have finally figured out the pattern for that crazy eating frenzy thing he
does.  I won't go into all the gory details.  We've done xrays, so know
nothing's stuck inside.  Fecal tests normal.  Did blood work & all is
normal.  Did extra blood work panel to check for IBD & will have results in
about a week.  To have complete diagnosis would need intestinal biopsy & I'm
not able to do that at this time.  I've almost had him 2yrs (this june) &
we've finally seen a pattern of tummy upset, diarrhea, eating frenzy, then
calm for a while & starts again.  We are treating him with diet,
acupuncture, chinese & western herbal formulas instead of prednisone.  Today
he actually had normal stool & behaved like a (relatively) normal dog.
There was more I was gonna write, but my brain stalled.
I hope all is well with everydog!  Hugs & big slobbery basset smoochies!
vikki
spencer/not so cujo, sara sue, hal e bear
sebastian atb, natasha atb