[Dailydrool] Suggestions I've received for keeping a dog away from a toe

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 15:55:54 PDT 2010

I've been receiving lots of suggestions for how to keep a dog from licking a sore on a toe. Some have been to my direct e-mail rather than postings, but they have all sounded so useful that I wanted to share them with Droolers as a group.

Suggestions:

Using toddler tube socks with their naturally elasticized tops

Using an inflatable inner tube e-collar

Putting "tea tree" oil on and around the sore

Putting "vet wrap" and then tape around the top of a sock or boot on the foot

Putting duct tape over gauze

Knocking the itch down with prednisone

And what is working for me at the moment: first putting on the neoprene dog bootie which fastens with a velcro strap around the ankle, and then putting on a sock over the top of the bootie such that the velcro strap is no longer accessible, but the velcro around the edges of the fastener sticks to the sock and keeps it from being pulled off.

Droolers are the best. Such a knowledgeable, resourceful, kindly bunch. Go Droolers.