[Dailydrool] Bugs

Susan Kitz smkitz at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 22:54:23 PDT 2010

When we lived in Kirksville MO we had a cicada summer.  They were everywhere and just kept on coming.  The boys, the two-legged vareity were 7 and 3 .  They and the other 4 boys of the same age went about collecting the cicada in plastic buckets which they carried everywhere.  At first I found them somehat alarming but as they do not bite, they live only to mate and die shortly thereafter with nary a bite to eat .  They tend to buzz a lot and often flew in your hair.  My sister came to visit and was totally freaked out  while I had gotten to the point of casually tossing them out of my hairwithout missing a beat.  Not bad for a city kid.  Nowadays we have no cicada  but a few buzzing bugs come in from the deck door at night with the dogs and set off the bug chase.  Even the cats join in.  I have yet to figure where the bugs end up.  I am not sure I want to know.    My son moved in with his very lage but amiable Caucasian Mountain Sheepdog.  Buttercup is not pleased.  She did not authorize this intrusian and lets him know it.  As to be expected he snuck upstairs just as I was letting my bunch indoors.  6 yelping bassets chased poor Thunder down the hall into our bedroom where he sensibly laid down.  Honey remembered her manners and sniffed him and kissed him defusing the a tense (for the bassets)situation.  Everyone took turns sniffing and greeting but Buttercup who wandered off as I would not let her carry on and incite anybody.  I let out a sigh of relief and praised Thunder for all he was worth.  He was a good boy, keeping the MomPerson's stress levels down to a reasonalble level and not causing a visit to the vet for stitiches for anyone.