[Dailydrool] Basset In The Middle of The Road

Lilie Basset Liliebasset at comcast.net
Sun Aug 1 09:13:01 PDT 2010

I can't remember why I was out in the country but I was looking for some
road or other and was quite lost.  Country roads in Indiana seem to run
together since there are just fields and very few houses between them.  I
had just turned onto another long country road when I saw something in the
distance lying smack dab in the middle of the road.  I slowed down, then
stopped.  It was a big old Basset Hound taking a nap right in the middle of
the country road.  He wasn't hurt...he was resting.  Of course, being a
Basset he was perpendicular to the road so I had to go very slowly around
him with half the car actually off the road.  His tail moved a few times but
I can't even call it a wag.

This was long before I fell under the Basset spell and I've always
remembered him - perfectly content and sure that no one would bother his
nap.  Maybe the country neighbors all knew about him and drove very
carefully in his neighborhood.

Katie, Lilie and Daffodil