[Dailydrool] Horsefly Hunter

Carol Gazzara carolgazzara at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 06:04:16 PDT 2010

It's funny to read about bassets and bugs.

  Our Rosie loves to hunt/kill/destroy horseflies.  She hears them and stands stock still then goes into action and 7 times out of 10, she gets them.  I am always yelling at her to stop as I fear a bad bite (their bites are big and I react terribly to them), but she continues her hunting.  They are big here in Florida only a couple of months out of the year but there are lots of 'em.  Rosie will kill them and then bark at me to come see and remove the body.  She follows me to the trash can and then sniffs to make sure I made the deposit then goes back to rest and she appears quite satisfied with herself.

  She also LOVES to hunt lizards and can catch them quite often and then tries to bring them home to her bed.  I do believe she just wants to play with them but they often die of what I believe is fright.  I do get to retrieve many of them and return them to the yard where they sit stunned for a bit and then trod off.  Of course, when she does catch them she does so face first and trots away with just the tail sticking out and wiggling - gotta get a picture to share one day.

Carol & Rosie in Florida