[Dailydrool] Bad backs and weight

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Wed Aug 4 08:43:08 PDT 2010

<<My late wife had a basset in a three level town home who did have serious
back problems, but I think they were due more to a weight problem than the
stairs.>>

Weight problems are HUGE causers of back trouble. When Abner came to us, he
was just IMMENSE. I called him "The Wedge," because he had absolutely no
waist, just went from his massive shoulders back to his behind in a
wedgelike shape. He stands only fourteen inches tall, and  with his
barrel-shaped chest, I'm surprised he didn't drag on the ground, he was so
round. He sure didn't have a lot of clearance.

Abs had come into rescue skinny, had been adopted out on a weight-gaining
diet, and the humans never stopped feeding him all that food. They returned
him to rescue when he "bit the mother-in-law." I'm certain he did that
because he was beginning to have back trouble, and she probably hurt him
unintentionally.

We worked hard on getting Abs down in weight, but taking weight off is a lot
easier than putting it on. Not until Abs had his back surgery did he really
drop the pounds. Since then he has been on Innova diet food, which has kept
him at a good weight. Not that he isn't always hungry for more, but at least
he's healthy again. It's up to the humans to get a hound down in weight and
keep him there, so we don't feed him a much at each meal.

The truth is, bassets are prone to back problems, but I believe it's partly
inheritance and partly lifestyle. My other three hounds have done stairs
with no problem because I always kept them trim. Abner's weight probably
kicked him over the edge into intervertabral disc disease.

Now that we have three senior dogs, one with a back problem, I have blocked
off our stairs. The other two can go upstairs if they ask to, but arthritis
probably keeps them from doing that often. Abner is grounded, unfortunately,
but at least his back is safer.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets