[Dailydrool] gus's crate

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Aug 5 07:18:45 PDT 2010

Hello Susan,

I'm so glad Gus seems to be happy to have his den back. I think it's
all a matter of attitude. You've been looking at the crate as a bad
thing, as punishment. I was actually rather concerned that Gus would
pick up on that attitude and think that because you're feeling
negatively about the crate, he should, too. Fortunately, he has an
entirely different attitude, and I hope it'll be one you can embrace.
Crates can be very good things for dogs. They feel secure, smell
familiar, and are a place of stability. Dogs also like routine, so
incorporating periods of time spent in a crate into Gus's daily
routine will be seen as a good thing as well.

In our house, we call the crates our dogs' rooms. So I'll tell our
Elsinore to go to her room, or I'll peek in on Charlie in his and
tell him in an upbeat voice that he's got a really cool room because
it has a blankie in it. It's all in the semantics. "Crate" has a
negative connotation, but "room" is more neutral or even positive, if
you want to think of it the same way you think of a child or teen's
room.

Elsinore likes to use her room as a way to try to get extra treats
out of me. I always give them a treat for going into their rooms, and
at bedtime they get a large Milk Bone to keep them from throwing up
empty-stomach acid at dawn. She's my smart girl. So lately she's
started putting herself to bed in her room earlier and earlier in the
evening to try to get that Milk Bone. I'm not caving in because I
know if I do, she'll end up trying to put herself to bed for the
night at 3:30 in the afternoon! But still, around 8:30 or so, she'll
ask to get off the sofa with us and she'll go to her room and stay
there for the rest of the night.

Her basset friend Owen doesn't have a crate at his house but he does
when he stays at ours, and he really, really loves being in it here.
Actually, all three hounds will play musical crates all day long when
Owen's with us. Elsinore does it to let everyone know that she can
appropriate anyone's room any time she likes. Owen just looks for a
free room to hang out in, and young Charlie takes what's left because
if Elsinore's doing something, even crate-hopping, then he wants to,
too. It's fun watching those dynamics.

Anyway, I suggest finding a positive name for Gus's crate and taking
your cue from him. It's a great space to hang out in, and isn't he
lucky to have one to stay in during the day?

Warm pats for your boy!

Elizabeth