[Dailydrool] Sister Anna's First Gotcha Day is Friday

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 5 22:09:01 PDT 2010

Tomorrow, Friday, is Sister Anna's first Gotcha Day.  I don't normally pay
all that much attention to events like this, (Gracie's Gotcha Day is in May
and Holly's was Monday) but Anna is a special case.  For one thing, she is
very silent and good and never gives any trouble, so she doesn't get talked
about a lot like Holly and Gracie do.  Anna is always quietly in the
background, she is not demanding at all.  I make sure that everyone gets
their fair share of treats and belly rubs and attention, but the other two
demand attention and Anna waits for attention.

Anna is somewhere around 9 years old and had been with her foster family for
six months before coming to live with us.   She was found wandering out on
her own in the country, so no one knows her history, but we have made some
educated guesses in the last year.  If you watch her, the thing that really
strikes you is, she loves men.  Then if you keep watching, you realize that
she is constantly on the lookout for men, and when she sees a man she wants
to go meet him and check him out, it's like a very strong compulsion, she
must meet all men she sees.  Another interesting thing about her is the way
she rides in the car, it's like she is used to riding in the front seat of a
pickup truck.  We decided almost right away that she had had a Daddy in her
life who she loved very much, and after watching her with men this last
year, I've decided that something happened that she doesn't know or
understand, her Daddy suddenly disappeared and she was out on her own, and
she doesn't know what happened or why.  Because it's pretty apparent that
wherever she goes, she wants to check out every man she sees because she is
looking for her Daddy.  It's kind of sad.

Anna is not a beautiful dog, just average, especially compared to Gracie and
Holly, who are both beautiful dogs.  But she is just about the sweetest dog
you will ever meet, and her internal beauty shows through, everyone who
meets her loves her.  We have fattened her up to a normal weight, you can't
believe how skinny she was when she got here, her foster Mom said she had
tried to put weight on her but nothing worked.  We feed home cooked foods
and a lot of other things that fosters simply can not do, so Sister Anna
looks good now, she has filled out and her coat is shiny and in good shape
and her skin problems and allergies have cleared up.  While she'll never win
any beauty contests, she's a nice looking, happy Mama's girl who has claimed
the couch in the den for her permanent bed.

I'm really lucky to have my three senior old ladies, they are all extremely
sweet, loving and good girls, and are just a blessing.  Sister Anna, happy
first Gotcha Day, we hope you have many, many more.  Thank you for coming to
live with us and for being Mama's sweet girl.

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net