[Dailydrool] Calendar Day/ Birthday

mmarvt at aol.com mmarvt at aol.com
Wed Aug 11 14:52:27 PDT 2010

      Today's calendar day belongs to Carly (standing in the back) and Baxter, two well trained Bassets, who share my home and my life.  They are at their post, watching out for their nemesis, the c at t who lives across the street.  In order to gain their unobstructed view, they removed the lace curtains that covered the windows.  If you look carefully, their perch has also been redesigned.  The stuffed chair was a mite too stuffed, so Baxter discarded the extra stuffing so they could stand on solid wood.  At the same time he surprised me by turning the living room into a skylike atmosphere, full of white fluffy clouds and foam.
       I've trained them go about their last potty of the night silently by sitting on the porch, cheese in hand, to reward a quick return.  Our NJ mosquitoes, the size of hawks, are also grateful to me for providing their dinner.  Carly has eliminated the need for an alarm clock by deciding our time to rise.  She slams books and shoes, butts the baby gate and as a last resort pulls all the covers off the bed to gently awaken me.  Not only does she keep our day on schedule, she insures that meals are served on time.  I've taught Baxter and Carly to eat off a spoon so I can trick them into taking their pills in cottage or cream cheese.  Yup, by the 3rd spoonful everything gets consumed.  They knock on the door to indicate they need to go "out" and knock to get back in.  So what if they went through the screen one day and everyone knows plexiglass doesn't last forever--they just knocked a little too hard that day.
       My Carly Basset and Baxter Brown have enriched my life in ways I never dreamed possible.  Through them I've met in person and online a wonderful group of people and Bassets that have given me endless joy, love and caring.  They make me smile and laugh every day, they bring life to my otherwise empty home, they've shown me that sharing with rescues, folks in need and participating in woofles feels so much better than counting the money in my piggie bank.  I belong to an exceptional group of women called The Mod Squad, and though they have not joined The Feet, we support their efforts, bought the uniforms, and love the pictures and website.  Although I write on the Drool rarely, please know we always send drool, prayers, laughs and tears with everyone.  And lastly, my little boy Baxter is 8 today.  I fiercely want to keep him where he is right now.....never getting older, or sick, and if the truck came with his brains, I'd refuse the package, cause he is perfect the way he is.  After all, look how hard I've worked to "train" him and his sister and how easily they captured my heart......forever more.....

Marion, Loving Mom to Carly Basset and Baxter Brown