[Dailydrool] Hello Dolly!

DIERKER j.mdierker at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 13 21:49:00 PDT 2010

It was such a strange day.I went into work at the vet I work for on Wednesday,and one of the techs told me I needed to go look in one of the runs.There was a very cute little basset hound.I said hi and went to work.Then the vet came up and said she needed to talk to me about the basset in the run.Apparently the owner came in the day before and asked to have her euthanized because she peed in the
 house.She hadn't been to the vet in three years,but apparently this was the solution.So now I have Dolly who has tested negative for everything,Thank God.She had a dental today,lost 3 teeth,and had some major gum work done.She's beautiful,petite,8
 years old,and pees sometimes.She pees if she's upset,like when hubby left her in the front room while he brushed his teeth.Or when I tried to get her to go outside but she didn't want to,and she
 was scared.Today was the first day we could just hang out so I just let her go out with the other dogs and quit trying to get her out more,and no problem.Haven't tried a crate yet (sleeping on my daughter's bed),might crate tomorrow.She loves to sit on your lap,a bit like velcro. She has had some altercations with my other dogs.She needs to learn Bunny isn't smiling when she tries to jump on the bed next to her,and if a treat falls,it's not hers.Husband needs to learn to STOP throwing treats over his shoulder to whoever catches it.VERY BAD HABIT.I just don't know how it happened.I've worked there for three years and there has never been somebody that came in to have a pet put down that didn't need it.And here they came,and it was a basset, and there I was,a bassetholic,with thankfully a worse bassetholic hubby,and a vet that couldn't bring herself to do it,and knew I would have a coronary.So many things that just fell into place.So here I am with
 Dolly,my "foster" dog (it makes my hubby feel better
 when I say that) and I'm still soaking it in.I hope all continues to go well because I am thrilled with her.
Janet,Bunny,Yogi,Carlie Jane,and Dolly(I like my new home but if she doesn't stop singing Hello Dolly I'm gonna hurl!)