[Dailydrool] Brainstorming about a PBF poster project

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 11:05:37 PDT 2010

Aloha, Susan, I see you are inquiring about a poster project. I know Eleri has
asked about this as well, and that there was enthusiasm about this idea last
month.

Let me give a brief progress report. Nancy Kay has been looking into some
possibilities, as have I, and there are some questions we both have. I figure
many Drooler brains together are better than only a couple (especially if one of
the couple is mine). An early question is "Is there still interest in this
project?" "If so, how many posters might we be talking about?" "What would be
the price range that would work for droolers?" "Is there a rescue/rescues out
there that would want to take this on as a fundraiser?"

Once these questions are answered, then there is the how to go about it
question. There are a number of Internet companies which will make posters from
your digital images. One of these is Sir Cooper. For 50 posters, the cost per
poster for production would be about $13. A post office mailing tube would be
$2.50, and postage would vary by location, but let's guess $2/per, so to go the
Internet company route would have an up front cost of $17.50 per poster. Monies
would need to be collected ahead of time (as Pam did with the mugs) and then the
order placed. To make any profit on this venue, the posters would probably need
to sell for about $25. ($7 profit per poster for rescue). Would Droolers be
willing to pay this much?

A different alternative would be to make sections of a poster downloadable from
your home computer--say, the ASTT, the SEALs, the State Department, Admirals,
etc. onto letter sized paper. Then each person wanting a poster would select
maybe six such sections, tape them to a large sheet of paper.poster board, and
take this composite to their local Kinko's and have a poster made by color
xeroxing. Depending on the size of the sections, maybe all would fit on one;
maybe not and to get everyone you would need to make more than one poster. I
haven't priced this alternative (as there isn't any Kinko's on my island,
lol--this was my brother's suggestion). We could also have downloadable
graphics, headers--kind of a do-your-own project. To make this a rescue
fundraiser, maybe a contribution to a rescue of choice would be required to
download?

Or, there may be better ideas than these. I think maybe we need a task force to
address these questions and explore ideas. Volunteers, please. Also, is there a
rescue interested in helping coordinate this? Write me and I'll help out in any
way I can, though my computer skills are quite minimal. Mahalo, Val