[Dailydrool] Update on Cookie and PBF Mugs

Pam Farris savethebassets at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 03:55:56 PDT 2010

Hello All!

I wanted to give everyone an update on Cookie, the rescue who needed to have both eyes removed because of glaucoma and who had almost no blood platelets.  Apparently it was some sort of tick borne illness that caused it so with treatment her platelet count got back to normal and she had surgery on Tuesday.  It took some time on the surgery table as she also had an extensive dental and she had a show trim on her nails (thanks Bev for mentioning that on the Drool - what a wonderful thing)  She is on quite a bit of pain meds right now but is eating very well and has all of the vetspital staff wrapped around her paws.   Everyone is sneaking in to give her some kind of special treat so hopefully she won't have gained 20 pounds by the time she gets to come back to basset headquarters.  At least they are all also taking her on walkies too :-)

I had orginally planned to keep her there until the cone of shame came off but she is doing so well about not scratching at her sutures that I am going to pick her up on Friday after work and keep her here so I can supervise her.  If she does well on the weekend, I'll just let her stay here because by that time, the incisions should have healed pretty well - we'll see.

It's amazing the effect she has on people.  The receptionist is a very sensitive person and is always crying over the things that the animals have to endure.  She was very upset over Cookie having to lose her eyes - even though I explained she had already lost the sight...we were just taking away the pain.  By last night, the receptionist was talking about how proud she was of Cookie and what a wonderful girl she is and how happy she always was with her whole body wag.  She was talking about how well Cookie did on walkies - only bumping into the curbs a bit - Cookie taught her a valuable lesson I think.  Even the vet was asking what my plans were for her - he thinks I need to work really hard to get her adopted because she is such a sweet girl.

So Cookie is doing well and I appreciate all the good thoughts and well wishes.  Her picture is on our website under adoptable dogs and my biggest hope for her now that she is on the road to recovery, is to find her forever home.   I used to think that she would do better as an only dog but she got used to the bunch of bassets here and by the time she left to go the vetspital, was joining in on all the basset play.

Way to go Cookie!

We are glad everyone is enjoying their BRF mugs.  They all have been mailed and I would think that everyone except the Canada and France ones should have been delivered so please let me know if they haven't.    They are all sold out EXCEPT for the ones that will be in our September Woofle, the proceeds of which will go towards paying the big vet bill for Cookie.

Pam Farris
Basset Rescue of Florida, Inc.
www.BassetRescueFlorida.com