[Dailydrool] Spirits among us

Kr1204 kr1204 at aol.com
Thu Aug 19 07:32:06 PDT 2010

On the thread of ghosts which I prefer to call spirits, I do think animals have an ability to see/hear what us humans cannot. I also ocasionally catch a glimpse of an ATB basset or feel them brushing by me. Spanky ATB would never give me a face kiss but when he came to bed about 2 AM every night he would give my hand or foot a quick lick. He's been gone almost 2 years and every once in a while when I am dozing, I feel that little lick and no other basset is near me. After he and Sonny left me within 2 months of each other, Sharon Wilder sent me a book about animal spirits and people's accounts and encounters with them. I have only been able to read a little at a time as the tears start flowing but many people report visits from cats, dogs, horses and other loved pets.
As for humans, in 2003 I was taking my usual vacation at the Oregon coast. My 89 year old father had not been feeling well so I called home after a couple of days and found he had been diagnosed with small cell cancer that had metastasized. Dr's said he would live about a year without treatment. I called home every day and he was doing fine. That Labor Day as I drove down the I5 in Washington state I saw a figure walking down the road. It looked like my dad even down to the threadbare herringbone jacket he liked to wear.  I pulled off the highway and began walking towards him and he waved and was gone. I knew then that dad had come to day goodbye. I had a redeye flight from Portland to Philadelphia and my ex was there to meet me. I looked at him and said "I know, Dad died yesterday" and he just nodded. So I do believe.
Kathy with Crackers, Loki and Jordan