[Dailydrool] Good Golly, Ms. Dolly!

DIERKER j.mdierker at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 19 22:34:03 PDT 2010

Okay,I've had Dolly for a week now.In case you don't remember,she was left at my vet to be euthanized because she peed in the house.I figured she might start showing me what she was up to,and she has started.This is an 8yr. old spayed female and all of the tests that the vet has run indicate this is behavioral.I have 4 other dogs besides her that I'd hoped she would just follow.She does to a point.Sometimes she squats for a long time outside,and other times she seems to cut it short.She doesn't really show any interest in exploring the yard which surprises me.I would have thought that hound nose would take her exploring.Tonight I had her outside for twenty minutes watching her and waiting for the pee.She just stands there and calmly looks at me.I finally gave up and came in and she peed next to me while I was busy.I said no firmly,not loudly,and we went back outside.When we're out she doesn't seem to comply,and I'm not sure how to get my point across to
 an older woman.From her history,I would expect her to cower but she doesn't.She just looks at me like she doesn't expect me to do anything.We are only talking one or two accidents a day,but it's usually after she refuses to go when we're outside.How does one get an older woman to get with the program and not upset her.She is so sweet and so loving,but I really want to get her outside.I don't want to use a crate because I don't want to separate her from the pack,or make her feel like she's in solitary.Any suggestions or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.I've house broken my bassets but they were not older and they didn't have a sad background.I feel like this is a very delicate balance.
Janet