[Dailydrool] Rememberance for Calypso

gravemast at aol.com gravemast at aol.com
Fri Aug 20 07:36:37 PDT 2010

It has been one year since my big squishy heart dog went to the bridge.  On August 9th, 2009, Calypso left due to heart/respiratory issues.  She was the first dog that I raised from a pup, and the first dog that i got as an adult. She made it through 13 wonderful years in which I moved 5 times, got married, got divorced, went through 3 or 4 different jobs, and had many life changes.  She was always my constant, Daddy's girl, heart dog, no....soul dog.  Her loss was heart-wrenching and I still feel it today....every time i look at her pictures or think about her.

BUT....She is still with me.  A little over a month after she went to the Bridge., I received word that Looziana Basset Rescue was starting to close down.  I decided to go take a look at their hounds, to see if one called out to me and to help them out as well.  I saw several terrific hounds, but none called out to me.  The last hound I visited was Annabelle.  It was odd because I visited her separately.  Poor kid tried to go home with me that day.  She was originally saved by a foster parent who pulled her the day she was to be put down. Belle is such a happy girl....all the time.  She called out to me.  Or perhaps Calypso was putting her in front of me to say..."Its OK to love again Dad."  I adopted her and brought her home.  She blended in with our other 2 furkids very well. She was not aggressive, always happy.

Weird thing is, she is so much like Calypso.  Her mannerisms, what she does...how she eats.  She is somewhat vocal like Calypso.  She is quite the countersurfer...just like Calypso. She even had an UTI infection...so did Calypso.  As much as I miss the old girl that went to the bridge, this young one has helped to fill a void that I wasnt sure could be filled.  No one can ever replace Calypso, but Annabelle has certainly helped me move forward.  And I definitely think Calypso had something to do with it.

So thank you my sweet girl.  I miss you and I love you.  I will see you again someday.  But, until then, I see a bit of you in Annabelle every day.  Thank you for sending her to me Lypso.  Enjoy the Buffet, sleep in the sun, and remember I love you.

Tom
Slave to Harley, Annabelle, and Calypso (ATB)